Pages

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The Character of a Chair




Hi there! Have you ever wondered how a chair is born?

What is the inspiration on each design, where was it made, where did the fabric come from and who was the designer?

What drives us to purchase, love, sit for hours, read, snack, watch our favourite show, or play a game on this wonderful comfy piece of furniture?
 
I believe it must be a combination of love at first sight, our history of what we grew up with, and our personal love of whatever sparks our interest when we walk into the room.

It's called design.
 
The above chair, one of many I've re purposed, was a tiny version of a rocker, no arms, very comfy, done up in my cottage signature design of homemade chalk paint a sander and finishing wax, a lovely piece of fabric.
 
She has a home in Las Vegas now, and was loved by many, especially the lucky one that found her first! I love that she went to a  lovely home!
 
I personally love vintage style kinds of chairs and couches.

 The history, the feel of the wood, the design, and above all, how comfortable it is to sit in, and what would be the function, what room will it go in.
 

 
This is a chair that lives with me! She has the French influence, did have upholstery on her arms, but I made the decision not to do it again. This has been professionally upholstered and she is a beauty! Gorgeous Bird Dwell Fabric in grays blacks and white. Lovely soft hues, perfect with the white painted finish.
 
Where would you put her? At a desk? The living room, or at the dining table? She sits proudly in my living room in front of a credenza. She is the statement piece in there.

This little peacock chair needed some freshening up! Love how she turned out, she went to live in a big house on a large patio!
  
 


Here is a before and after. She needed a little help! The Peacock Rattan Chair, circa 1960s.

I have found that I love very different designs in chairs. From mid century modern to French accent to the heavy English designs. But how does one decide what they like? 

Research and finding a place for inspiration with lots of wonderful articles and lots of pictures! Found the place!

One Kings Lane Home Decor Resource guide!



These are my favourite chairs and I've saved the best for last!

These two chairs, 1950s era, by American of Martinsville, are my statement chairs in my personal Library. Yes I am a bookworm, tons of books, and my home had oak bookcases on one wall and I ran with it!

English, a little gothic, gold patina and marble, accents of French design as well.

I will share with you, that I have found in researching tables, chairs, mid century modern and all kinds of style of furniture, a good place to start is the Home Decor Resource at One Kings Lane!

For instance, you can type in the Search area, rattan chairs. You will find just a ton of articles regarding rattan chairs plus origin, year, style, and other pieces that may have rattan on them listed right there with links to information regarding any specific detail.

A great place to educate and inspire!

You can purchase from them, and learn your style.

I did a post a while back on the Library Chairs here. But here is just a brief recap.

 
Original condition. I absolutely loved the fabric, velvet, but so dirty I couldn't clean it.
 
Did you know that fabric on upholstered furniture usually has a "fabric code?"
 
 This combination of letters code will tell you whether you can use water or not, and how to proceed so as not to ruin the fabric.

 
So I ended up updated with white paint and got them ready to go off to the reupholster. Sadly, I tried to clean but to no avail.

 
Fini!
 
 brocade, green velvet, tons of texture and oh so charming!

 
Love them and all the little details.

 
So very comfy! I am loving my Library, it is still not completely finished but almost! :)


 
So if you love to re purpose furniture, especially chairs, what is your design sense?
 
Where do you go to do your research to find your specific style?
 
What are your statement pieces? Where are they in your home?
 
Remember a good source for inspiration and education will be One Kings Lane so be sure to stop over, but grab that cuppa something first! You will be there a while! :) 
 
Be sure to let me know how you loved the Resource center! I sure did!
 
Have a wonderful week! xo Kat
 
 

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment I read every one! Kat =^.^=